Bottega del vino Dolcetto di Dogliani

Logo Dogliani Foto illustrativa

DOGLIANI - The municipality


Dogliani is the town from which the name of the denomination derives. It covers as much as 50% of the Dolcetto di Dogliani Doc territory and 61% of the Dogliani DOCG. Dolcetto wine is closely connected to the town where Luigi Einaudi, the second president of the Italian Republic, bought lands and farming estates here, thus becoming one of the first supporters and producers of Dolcetto di Dogliani, and a significant promoter of the wine outside the confines of the region.
Now the town is host to the Bottega del Vino, an association of all the producers in the area, and every September the popular festival, the Sagra del Dolcetto, revives the old traditions and celebratory atmosphere of the grape harvest.
The documented existence of the town dates back to pre-Roman times, when it was inhabited by Ligure and Celtic populations. It then became an important Roman settlement between the 1st and 2nd century B.C. and numerous archaeological findings from the 1st and 2nd centuries A.D., including a necropolis, have been found in the area of San Quirico.
During the Late Roman Empire (3rd-4th centuries), the town centre gradually moved towards the Pieve, and continued moving over the following centuries until it reached the fortified area of the castrum, to defend itself against sacking and raids by the invading Hungarians and Saracens during the 10th century.
In the early Middle Ages, the town was included in the district of Alba, and later came under the dominion of the Aleramics of Vasto and the Marquis of Busca. It was at this time that the town began to take on its present configuration, with the castle up on the hill and the village, enclosed by a wall with two gates, situated along the Rea stream down below. In the 12th century, Dogliani became self-governing under the Convenzioni agreements, but civil struggles soon began among the Monferrato nobility - the Saluzzo, Acaia and Visconti families - and raged until the mid-1400s. A hundred years later, the town was occupied first by the French and later by the Spanish, under Frances the Ist and Charles the Vth, who were fighting for European supremacy. In 1601, the Treaty of Lione established that Dogliani, along with other small towns, was to be handed over to the Savoy, who in turn, gave it as a feud to the Solaro di Moretta and the Solaro del Borgo. During the Napoleonic period, the French armies, initially seen as liberators, in fact did nothing more than exploit the land and impose their laws, to which the town was forced to abide to avoid the fate of Marsaglia, Castellino and Belvedere Langhe which were burnt to the ground by the intruders. Not until the 19th century did Dogliani begin to thrive again. The eclectic architect, Giovanni Battista Schellino, born in 1818 in Borgata Spina, left a characteristic mark on the town in his many different projects which decidedly improved the aspect of the village and gave it a very definite architectural identity. Cultural, social and commercial life also flourished during the 19th century and Dogliani attained an importance comparable to that of many larger towns within the province of Cuneo.

For more information on Dogliani please visit the website
www.comune.dogliani.cn.it